New EPSO AD Webinars have been announced. Click here for details.
Home E-Learning Catalogue
Wish to know how the European Union works - in 40 minutes? Train your staff & students anywhere in the world!
More courses coming soon. For FREE trial, group discounts & corporate sales contact us now!
Duration: 33 minutes
The Council of Ministers and the European Council are vitally important EU institutions, especially since the Lisbon Treaty entered into force in 2009. This course discusses in detail their structure, decision-making, EU level policy coordination, economic affairs, foreign policy and strategic guidance.
The Council of Ministers and the European Council are two of the lesser known though vitally important EU institutions. Since the changes of the Lisbon Treaty in 2009, both have new roles that this course discusses in detail: decision-making, EU level policy coordination, economic affairs, foreign policy, strategic guidance and adopting European legislation. The course includes the following topics:
Organisation of the Council of Ministers
- The configurations and the concept of a single Council
- The role of the rotating Presidency
- The President of the European Council and his/her role
- The Council’s role in international agreements, EU policies and coordination
Decision-making in the Council: preparation
- The Council’s role in preparing EU legislation
- The role of the working groups, special committees and groups
- The COREPER I and COREPER II and the Ministers
Decision-making in the Council: voting procedures
- Types of voting procedures and when each is used
- Simple majority, qualified majority, unanimity
- Member States’ rights and changes after 2014
The European Council
- History of the European Council from 1962
- Strategic role in EU policy formulation
- Organisation and structure of the European Council
- EU Treaty revision procedures
- The President of the European Council